About IARP

The Indian Association for Radiation Protection (IARP), a non-governmental organization (NGO) of radiation protection professionals in India, was registered in 1968 under the Public Trust Act, 1950. The association has a large membership of the specialists and users of natural and man-made radiation sources. The Association was admitted in May 1970 as an affiliate of the International Radiation Protection Association (IRPA). The main objective of the IARP is to promote the science of radiation protection in nuclear technology and in the applications of ionizing radiation in industry, medicine, agriculture and research. To disseminate broad-based knowledge in the field of radiation protection, the Association has its four chapters in different regions of the country.

The association has been guided by eminent scientists in the field. Late Dr. A.R. Gopal Ayengar an internationally renowned radiation biologist was its first President.  The successive past presidents are late Dr. A.K. Ganguly an international authority on radiation physics and also the renowned environmentalist, late Dr. K.G. Vohra, an international authority in environmental pollution, Shri A. Nagaratnam, an authority on radiation protection and Shri M.S.R. Sarma a renowed Reactor Engineer and an authority on Reactor Operation and Safety, Dr. U.C.Mishra an eminent environmentalist and an international authority on instrumentation for detection and measurement of low level radioactivity. Our immediate Past President was Dr.V.Venkat Raj, an authority on Reactor Safety and Radiological Protection. The present President of the Association is Shri H.S.Kushwaha, an international expert in Reactor Safety and Radiological Protection.

The Association was admitted in May 1970 as an Associate Society of the International Radiation Protection Association (IRPA). To strengthen the countrywide spread of knowledge in the field of radiation protection, Association has started many new chapters. The first one is New Delhi chapter functioning both at New Delhi and Jodhpur since January 1976. Other chapters now functioning are at Kanpur, Tarapur and Kalpakkam.